Sunday, April 10, 2011
Online Learning
The possibilities of online learning are indefinitely present in today's society and the future. However, it's an idea that I can't wrap my fingers around whether or not it would be beneficial for ALL students. While reading the article, I created a jumble of words and thoughts about the pros and cons of online learning. Although there are many pros that I think are important and shouldn't be overlooked, I keep focusing on the 'fitting ALL students' concept. I'm going to have to say that although online learning can offer great educational benefits for our youth, I don't believe it should ever replace traditional classroom education. I base my decision on the three following reasons: 1. Interaction- There are indeed many ways of interacting in an online environment that can create discussion; however, is it the same type of interaction? I have never taken an online course so I know I lack knowledge in personal experience but from just being in a traditional classroom setting, the interaction amongst students and teachers is irreplaceable. Not only the interaction in the classroom but also the interaction amongst students in the hallways, lunchroom, etc. Online classes don't have the same spontaneity and discussion that arises in the classroom that can create higher level discussions and real world experiences from each student. The classroom allows students to interact with each other to solve problems, discuss issues, and ask questions when needed. A main concern with online learning is that students will lack the social interactions with their peers to be successful in the future. Without real face-to-face interaction how can students form social skills used in the business world? There are so many concerns I have relating to the lack of interaction associated with online learning. 2. Maturity- I believe in at the collegian level online learning is possible because of the maturity level. At this time, education has a different meaning because we are all young adults paying to receive an education that will benefit us for our future. We are at the maturity level to understand the importance of education and can handle less interaction and direction throughout the learning process. I think students K-9 would struggle immensely with the process of online learning. Grades 10-12 there is a possibility but I still think that they lack maturity needed to successfully excel in an online learning environment. 3. Motivation- This concept is key in any type of learning. I can't foresee the majority of students K-12 having the motivation to succeed in an online learning environment. It's amazing the difference in motivation between my 9th graders and 12th graders. Keeping my 9th graders motivated is an ongoing struggle and I'm constantly keeping them on task and motivating them to complete there work. My 12th graders are more motivated to do well and complete there work but even they need encouragement. If I, as a teacher, have to motivate my students constantly in a traditional classroom, I can't see students being able to motivate themselves to learn through the use of an online class. I'm not saying that online learning is not a possibility. I just feel that there are some students who can succeed and the majority will struggle. Many students don't have the drive to be in school as is, and without teachers constantly being there to push them to succeed I think online learning would create a larger number of students who drop out. I'm curious to see the development in online learning though and see the possibilities that it could potentially hold.
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)
I totally agree with you idea of irreplaceable interaction. Online classes are great but students would miss out on the relationships between classmates, teachers, and administrators. I really like your idea about communication in the business world- if we offer online classes to students, how will their communication skills be when they graduate and begin looking for a job? Not very good, most likely. Maturity is a huge issue, as well. Online classes require both maturity and motivation. Today, I feel like our students are going backwards in both areas therefore, how can we expect students to learn and discipline themselves enough to be successful through online classes. Though online classes have many benefits, I think the general consensus is that students today are just not ready for it. Good job, Miss Hahn! (:
ReplyDelete