Saturday, March 26, 2011

Should Cell Phones Be Used in Learning?

Oh, the famous question that seems to be boggling today's schools, should cell phones be used in learning? My thought, absolutly not. I personally, don't see how cell phones can possibly enhance education that much where they should be used in a classroom setting. The main three reasons that I base my strong disagreement with the use of cell phones being used in learning are; 1. Cyberbullying, 2. Distraction, 3. Misuse.

1. Cyberbullying
Bullying has been an issue facing schools for years and now with technology, cyberbullying makes bullying easier for students to do and get away with. I see the problems with cyberbullying first hand currently at my placement for student teaching. The school allows students to have cell phones out during the school day, but it's up to the teacher whether they are aloud to use them in class or not. I can't even count the number of occasions that students entered my classroom crying or upset due to a text message they recieved from fellow peers. Students are sending hatred text messages to each other throughout the school day. The school environment is not meant to be a social scene where students need to be constantly texting one another but rather a place where actual education takes place. There are suicides happening to our youth because of bullying and the use of cell phones is only increasing this statistic. There is an article in PSEA Voice from February 2011 called 'The Changing Face of Bullying' that is worth reading.

2. Distraction
As many of us may have this issue, I find that being in a classroom setting where students are in front of computers the entire period can be a big enough distraction as is without adding cell phones into this equation. While giving instruction and conducting activities where students are to use a computer, depending on the setup of the classroom it can be difficult to ensure that students aren't playing games or surfing the net instead of what they should be doing. Now, if students are aloud to have cell phones then they will also be texting during this instruction time. Even though in my classroom students aren't permitted to use their cell phones during class it's difficult to constantly concentrate on students' every move. The students find ways to text under their desk or when i'm helping another student. This is taking away from their education and it shouldn't even be an issue.

3. Misuse
The technical staff at schools work hard to block inappropriate cites on the Internet so that students can't access them from school computers. However, with cell phones, students are able to access the Internet with no way of blocking certain cites. Students can now access Facebook, MySpace, Twitter, and various other social networking cites during school hours. Inappropriate pictures, videos, and other content can be viewed and distributed through the use of cell phones. This misuse can't even have consequences because it's not like I or any other facutly can search through phones to see what a student is doing.

On a final note, I've read various articles and been in classes where teachers tried to use cell phones as an example of how they could be used to enhance learning but I still don't see how they were actually beneficial. Taking polls through cell phones is an unnecessary "enhancement" of education and can easily be conducted through other programs on the Internet. I am intrigued and welcoming for anyone to play the devils advocate so to speak, against my views and attempt to sway my opinion on this issue.

References:
PSEA Voice
http://teachingtoday.glenco.com/howtoarticles/cell-phones-in-the-classroom

5 comments:

  1. Do you think that cell phones in the classroom may have been a more practical idea 5 years ago, when most people carried a basic flip phone without a camera, rather than in today's classroom where it seems like half of the students have a smartphone like the iPhone?

    ReplyDelete
  2. I'm sorry Adam I don't know if I exactly understand what you're asking but I'll take a stab at it. If anything, they would be more practical today than 5 years ago because what would a basic flip phone have to offer for education? In the case of a basic flip phone they would offer simply a calculator. Without Internet, cell phones serve absolutly no purpose in the classroom but for students to enjoy playing snake or basic games that the phone offers.

    ReplyDelete
  3. I was interested in the comment you made about bullying with cell phones. How often do you hear about bullying-type incidents during the school day? I have not seen it, so was curious.

    ReplyDelete
  4. I have probably had about 5 students with issues regarding bullying through cell phones. Such as mass text messages sent with rumors about certain individuals. There are also break ups that occur through text messages that happen frequently where students are distraught and upset during class becasue of it.

    ReplyDelete